As an Integrated Wellness Coach that refuses to give up on exploring what I love, I have come to a point where I have a strong urge to reach more people then I ever have before.
By observing, documenting, and intuitively experimenting with creative ideas for over 20 years in the fitness industry with clients from 8-80+ years old as including myself, I intend to learn more by sharing and evolving what I do and how I do it.
If you need to perform optimally as an employee, entrepreneur, parent, home maker, artist etc. and you are NOT a pro athlete, actor or model that gets paid based on athletic performance or physical appearance, chances are you may fall into the category of Domestic Athlete. I am not the only one to have come up with such a concept. I feel that this is the current direction the industry has been going. As I will share in future blogs, the industry as a whole is very young compared to other sectors. I feel I have been very fortunate to witness its growth and maturity over the decades.
Many of us not only want to look and feel good, but we also are looking for more! However we aren’t always certain what will come first – the healthy body or a purpose driven, happier life. For each of us the journey is unique and there are many ways to climb this mountain. More to come on this later…
To be a little more transparent with who I am and what brings me here I share with you the following.
Why am I a Domestic Athlete?
- I have always loved sports and fitness and don’t want to give up playing.
- I am a Dad and Husband, that sees benefit in being vital and athletic to serve my family.
- I have challenges that conflict with keeping up with training like a pro athlete, BUT I ADAPT so I can see the benefits to still trying to optimize human performance to suit my “sport of life” despite the obstacles dealt to me every day.
- I prefer to lead by example.
- Sometimes in life I want and NEED to LIFT something heavy, CLIMB onto or under something, ENDURE something or fulfill some other random physical task at the drop of a hat. This is because I prefer to be active rather than passive.
- I’d rather contribute than take away.
- I AM naturally competitive!
- I prefer to opt out on something by CHOICE and not because I physically can’t participate. (AKA, avoiding getting benched by life).
- I rather remain off the “injured list” of life.
- I hate stagnating or being complacent.
- I like problem solving through life and understanding how my body, mind and spirit work TOGETHER so I can tap into my true Spirit and Soul.
- I am a Domestic Athlete because I DON’T get paid to train, yet I understand my physical assets are a necessity for higher quality of life and success.
- I love how my body feels when it moves well.
- My body can help with processing stress.
- I would like to continue loving what I see in the mirror.
- Occasionally I like to breakdance at weddings even though my windmill is SLOW AS ASS! tongue emoticon
And the list goes on and on…
For most of us, we do not have the privileges pro athletes do of massive salaries, teams of specialists, access to just about anything, professional cooks, 100% support to devote to the sport and their bodies, no need for grocery shopping, school drop off and pick up, 60 min commutes, hours and hours of sitting at a desk or in a car day in and day out etc.
Again some of us may be able to relate. But this is most of our realities. Most of these qualify as excuses, but they also don’t go away or else we seize to have much motivating us to get up and contribute in the morning. This is Life!
The concepts I am exploring, focus on a large part of the independent working population with many domestic commitments and choices to make each day.
I believe we need our health to perform at this sport effectively! The question is “HOW”. And that is what I intend to keep speaking to. Please stay tuned!
“Move Often, Move Well, Move for LIFE!”
Brian DeCastro, Founder of The Domestic Athlete Inc.
Choose How to Get Started: